Normally at this time of year everyone shows you their 10 best reads of the year, which I will also be doing, but first I thought it would be fun to show you my 10 most disappointing reads of the year! These are books that I found major problems with, found incredibly boring, or found them childish and annoying.
Please don’t @ me if one of your beloved favorites is on my list. This has been a year of learning for me and I have come a long way in knowing what I love and don’t love to read now! This list also is nothing against the authors, these are all fantastic books. I just think they would be fantastic books for other people! Alright lets get to it, in no particular order here are my 10 most disappointing reads of 2018:
- Save the Date : by Morgan Matson
- This. This book. Oh man I had some FEELINGS about this one. Let’s just say this is the book that made me realize how much I actually hate young adult contemporary, especially young adult contemporary romance. You can find my full review here.
- Circe : by Madeline Miller
- This one left me confused, which is why I gave it 3 stars. The only things I liked about this story was the beautiful writing and the mythology. I struggled to get through this and I list my reasons why in my review which you can find here.
- The Two Towers : by J.R.R Tolkien
- This is one I fear I will get a lot of hate for. But I just couldn’t do it. The Fellowship of the Ring was a 5 star read for me, it was beautiful and poetic and a wonderful story. This, this was a cluster fuck that felt disjointed and really turned me off from reading Return of the King. You can read my full review here.
- When Dimple Met Rishi : by Sandhya Menon
- This is tied with #5 for my lowest rated books of the year. I absolutely disliked everything about this book. I read it because Menon’s second book, From Twinkle With Love came in an Owlcrate box over the summer and I thought it would be fun to read this first but OH MY GOD I disliked it so much I never even read From Twinkle With Love. I actually ended up selling both! Come see why I disliked this so much in my review here.
- Batman: Nightwalker : by Marie Lu
- Along with When Dimple Met Rishi this was my lowest rated book of the year. This book was dripping in young adult tropes that I hate and was so predictable, forgettable, and entirely frustrating. You can find my review here.
- City of Bones : by Cassandra Clare
- Whiny hormonal teenagers and a lackluster main character. Need I say more? Full review here.
- Big Water : by Andrea Curtis
- This book was under 200 pages but it felt like 700. It was basically a rehash of Life of Pi, it just happened to take place on one of the Great Lakes which is why I read it (because I’m originally from Michigan!). You can find my review on my Goodreads because I read this before I made my blog!
- The Lost Sisters : by Holly Black
- It’s not that I didn’t like this novella per say, I just hate Taryn and wasn’t pleased the whole story was just an ‘apology’ letter to Jude. You can find my review here.
- City of Ashes : by Cassandra Clare
- Same as #6. You can find my full review here.
- Sky in the Deep : by Adrienne Young
- Another one I feel I will get a lot of hate for, but I’m trying to be honest with myself. I did rate this 4 stars, but overall I feel entirely let down by this book and looking back I probably now would rate it 3 stars. It was underwhelming, way over hyped, and the romance was laughably terrible. You can find my full review here.
Alright, there’s my list of my top 10 most disappointing reads of 2018! Be on the lookout for the opposite post, my top 10 best reads of 2018 coming soon!